Another year has flown by and the countdown to Christmas is fast approaching! There is nothing like putting up the Christmas tree and checking out neighbours lighting decorations to get excited and embrace the holiday spirit.
Decorative lights are a must as they add a magic sparkle to the Christmas tree, but they can also increase the risk of fires and electrical injuries in the home.
To ensure you and your family have the most magical festive season, follow these Safety tips for decorative lighting.
- Inspect old Christmas lights/electrical wires for any sign of damage (particularly if stored below the home where mice and rats can nibble away.)
- Check that your Christmas tree lights are designed for indoor use rather than decorative outdoor lighting.
- Do not place lights directly on top of tinsel/flammable decorations as the heat generated from the lights can spark a fire.
- Opt for the use of LED Christmas lights, as they not only stay cooler and use less energy when lit up, but they often have a brighter glow over incandescent lights.
- Check that your holiday lights have insulated pins and meet Australian standards
We hope that these tips add ease to your Christmas lights installation, and happy lighting!